Plan Your Move
- When in doubt, give your local personal property office a call.
- Research your new base on militaryinstallations.dod.mil
- Learn what options there are for transporting your household goods
- Visit Military One Source to learn more about coping with relocation and housing issues
- Attend an info session (briefing) at your local personal property office
- Visit PCSmyPOV if you plan to ship a privately owned vehicle (POV): e.g., car, truck, motorcycle, etc.
Schedule Your Move
Use Defense Personal Property System (DPS) to schedule your move with a transportation company.
- Sign In to DPS to schedule your move online (Find out if you’re eligible to use DPS to schedule your upcoming move).
- If you're doing a joint move (a.k.a., a dual military move with your active duty spouse), please visit your local personal property office to get help scheduling your move.
- Follow online tutorials for help logging in or using DPS.
Visit PCSmyPOV to schedule an appointment at your assigned Vehicle Processing Center.
As you’re unpacking you might notice that some items got lost or broken in transit. Not only should you file claims to receive compensation for your damaged items, make sure you review your moving company so that other family’s benefit from your experience.
- What happens if something is lost or broken?
- Learn how to file a loss or damage claim in DPS
- Learn how to review your moving company in DPS (Customer Satisfaction Survey)
- Review the Vehicle Claims Process in case your POV is damaged during shipment or storage